Saturday 30 July 2011

Richie Rich through Begging!!!


Its been ages I have updated the blog and today, finally, I found the appropriate subject. Yeah, I know, its been a long time and I can't say that I wasn't free to update the blog but I can certainly say that I had not found appropriate topic for the blog. But today I decided to write what I saw when I had been out to temple. If you are a citizen of India, or even if you aren't, what do you see when you first enter the temple? The answer to this question is very very easy; we see Large number of Beggars sitting in front of a temple in a straight line. Its as if they have made a long queue and are waiting for their chance to come as to when God will shower them with lots of money, food, fruits, basically, whatever they can get. But do they actually get their chance? Does God shower them with blessings? Here is the irony, more than showing us his love, he shows them their love. Now most of the readers would think, why would she say such a thing? Aren't we suppose to show pity towards them? Help them in whatever way we can? These are some of the questions I will be answering today in this post.
This is the most common picture we see on our roads, bus/railway stations, temples, almost everywhere. And we immediately feel sorry for it. But is it worth feeling sorry for? According to me, absolutely no. And the reason is, at the end of the day, whatever they earn or beg does not go in their pocket. But rather it goes in the pocket of a thug or contractor who have hired them. They have their own associations and did you know, you can't be a beggar until and unless you register in one of the association. Then whatever a beggar earns throughout the day, almost 70% of it goes to that contractor of the association. Almost all of us must have seen Slumdog Millionaire and 80% would have said- nah, this is not the condition in India. Foreign people like to put us down and thats the reason they have showed this condition. But trust me when I say this, that is the real condition. Infants are stolen from govt hospitals everyday. They are given to girls or young women or kids on rental basis. Because when you see a baby, your heart melts and you end up giving more money. Some of the kids are even mutilated so that they will get Pity Money.

Now this is one side of the story. What are the actual statistics? India's capital, Delhi, alone is the home for 120,000 odd beggars. Uttar Pradesh has the highest number of beggars followed by Bihar, Haryana, West Bengal and Rajasthan. These are the statistics of 2010, before the CW games. After reading all this, readers will be thinking, why would anyone want to become a beggar? It must be because they don't have any other choice. You are certainly wrong here my friend. Because they are doing it as it is easy money. They just have to sit there, ditch their self respect in a nearby bin and act as if they don't know anything in the world. Wham! They get the money. Who would not want that? Here comes my today's experience as a proof for this. I had gone to Shani temple and it was very crowded. The queue had come on the road. And beside temple queue there was other line of people sitting. Ya, you guessed it right. They were beggars. But I was shocked to see them. Because all were dressed in fine clothes. Bit dirty if I say so. Almost all of them were aged below 50 and some of the men were even drunk. They had bags n bags full of eating goods. And as it was auspicious day, people kept on giving them more and more. They were all healthy, some of them even fat to tell the truth. Then why were they begging there? Because it was easy to beg than earn their food. I have few pictures which i took today. Hope it gives my friends a clear picture.


The lady you see on cycle here is pretending to be handicap and those packets of biscuits they have gathered just in the evening. Even though that lady in pink can see the goods displayed she is giving more items to them. Whose fault is it then? Sadly, I find the fault is with us. If we do not encourage them, they will end up working and for those who are truly in need, they have shelter homes and we are there to help them. Begging sadly has turned into a business now which has to come to an end but sadly its Vicious Circle of Poverty which will take all the efforts possible.

I must bring an end here as time for me to hit the bed has come. Though I haven't covered all the aspects of poverty and beggary, I hope readers have got my message.

Men are made stronger on realization that the helping hand they need is at the end of their own arm. ~Sidney J. Phillips

8 comments:

  1. although I dun care about all this stuff but I was instantly drawn to it because after going through the entire post, I was bewildered n awestruck at the mind blowing truth that was still behind the veil ! these beggars actually die with millions in their pockets ! what more .. you can see them selling those biscuit packets next day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh. I had heard about them dying with money but I never knew they would sell the stuff they get. I just thought they would store it. And is it true that they even do drugs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the reason there is "centers" or places that the homeless, or people in need go for assistance. When the public turns a blind eye and a deaf ear to these problems, it only worsens, as you have pointed out here. The homeless cannot be left to defend for themselves, as they are defenseless.

    The poor and homeless are basically the CHILDREN of any government, or society, as they are the "weakest among us", and have few rights. It is up to those with RIGHTS to use their rights to do the RIGHT thing.

    If ONE wealthy Indian businessman decided to take some of his millions and build a "homeless shelter" or "beggar center", it would change the world. Then each individual case could be monitored and no thieving or stealing would occur.

    This is an example of one such place where I work at:
    http://www.havenforhope.org/new/

    RENUKA -- It's obvious the thieves and crooks are giving more attention to the homeless than the good citizens. WHEN the GOOD citizens give more attention to the helpless than the crooks, you will see the tides turn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good topic, talks about the reality of society. one of the causes for encouraging them lies in religion, most Hindus believe it will do them karma by helping such people, only if they open their eyes more wider will they see that such beliefs is not doing anyone any good, it would earn them more good karma if they open homeless shelters,schools, etc and the govt can employ these people in tarring of roads,construction etc...but where? the number seems to keep increasing because of their success stories...poverty in India is alarming and then you have stories like this...really ironic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Mem Key - sorry to say but this is India and not America. Those people are not homeless and certainly not helpless. There is enough work available, India is a huge country where demand for labour is increasing. What Renuka was trying to say was- these people are lazy and do not want to work, hence taking lazy way out. Everything is not as simple as it seems..
    And what will be the use building a beggar centre? They are healthy and fit, they die with more money than we do. We will just be spoon feeding them. you do need to come to India and see it for yourself. As RENUKA has said, its a business now and i completely support Divya. If we make them work, then only they will learn :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup Mem, You really need to come to India.Vipul said what I was thinking.When beggars push you and reject the food you give them and ask for money then you will know the reality. Everything is not goody goody in this world my friend. And Di said is true, people encourage it by the name of charity and it never stops, nor it will. Though what we can do, I have no idea. I just don't give even 1 dime to them as I know the reality behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. stirring and hard-hitting, I wonder what will go in my mind when a beggar comes and asks for alms the next time. I wonder should I be the judge to identify the needy or the greedy then, will I be able to do justice to it or will I simply drop another few bucks and feel solace of helping a poor person in need..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the feedback. I really appreciate it. Do I know you?
    Most of the times, beggars are richer than us. Its like a business to them. Many a times, racket of so called Businessmen have been busted.

    ReplyDelete